background image
Skip to content

We offer a variety of map options on the site.

Maps Brant You may choose to view a dynamic interactive map system with numerous mapping layers that can be turned on as needed. Or, you may select from maps from the gallery, which have been prepared to promote or highlight locations and specific information across the County of Brant.

Interactive Maps

Gain access to a vast amount of information on this mapping site anytime or anywhere. The mapping solution is widely available on many devices that support web browsing.

Launch the Map App

Map Gallery

View and download maps prepared to promote events, trails and locations across the County.

Full County of Brant Map
View More maps...

Hazardous Waste

Household hazardous wastes are materials that shouldn't be disposed of in your household garbage because they contribute to the strength and volume of landfill leachate.

Residents can dispose of Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste (MHSW) materials during a specific, one-day collection event put on by the county or at industry supported drop-off depots (see bottom of page for details). For details on this year's event check out our Recycling & Garbage Collection Calendar.

The 2017 Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event is now scheduled for September 22, 2018.

Household Hazardous waste includes:

  • Paint
  • Used oils
  • Household cleaning products
  • Solvents
  • Thinners
  • Herbicides
  • Pesticides
  • Batteries
  • Fluorescent light bulbs
  • Ballasts
  • Mercury thermometers
  • Expired medication
  • Sharps

New safer and more environmentally responsible products that can provide similar results are constantly being introduced to the market. The manufacturer's disposal instructions should always be followed.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is asbestos included as accepted waste?

Asbestos is accepted for disposal at the Biggars Lane landfill under the Environmental Protection Act conditions and revised regulations. Tipping fees apply. Authorization to dispose of this material must be provided by the County. The Public Works Department can be contacted for further information.

Who do I report illegal dumping and accidental spills to a sewer or storm sewer to?

Illegal dumping incidents should be reported to the Public Works Department at 519.449.2451. If a spill is being reported, the Ministry of the Environment must be notified by calling the Spills Action Center at 1.800.268.6060.

Are there any other local options available?

Other local outlets include:

  • Orange Drop - an industry-funded recycling program aimed at keeping hazardous and special waste materials out of Ontario's landfills and waterways. The Orange Drop Program allows Ontarians to return designated materials to local Municipal HHW Depots, retail sites and collection events across Ontario.
  • Ontario PaintRecycle - the program accepts most types of household paint through a network of nearly 300 collection sites throughout the province. These collections sites include a number of retail locations where you can return your old, leftover paint, as well as many municipal depots that accept paint alongside a host of other recyclable products.
  • Waste Electronic and Electrical Equipment (WEEE) - provides information on places to dispose of your old electronics.
  • Rethink Tires - provides information and alternative locations for disposing of used tires.
  • Canada Health Products Stewardship Association - provides information and drop-off locations for returning unused or expired medication and sharps for safe disposal. You can also return unused or expired medications and used or unwanted sharps to community pharmacies. Speak to your pharmacist for more information.

More Information

For further information on upcoming changes to the ways that wastes are managed in Ontario, visit Waste Diversion Ontario and Stewardship Ontario.

CleanFarms™ provides farmers with tools to help minimize their environmental footprint through free programs such as the empty pesticide container recycling program and the obsolete pesticide collection campaign.

County Contacts

26 Park Avenue, Burford, ON N0E 1A0
Phone: 519-449-2451
Toll Free: 1-888-250-2295
Fax: 519-449-2454
Monday - Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 160
Burford, ON
N0E 1A0

Property Tax
26 Park Avenue, Burford, ON N0E 1A0
Phone: 519-449-2451
Toll Free: 1-888-250-2295
Fax: 519-449-1380
Monday - Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 249
Burford, ON
N0E 1A0