Our Clerk's Office provides marriage licence and Commissioner of Oaths service to residents and issues burial permits for funeral homes. For information on registered marriages, births or deaths, please contact Service Ontario.
Marriage Licence Applications
Marriage licences for marriages that take place in Ontario can be obtained from the County of Brant Administration Office, 26 Park Avenue, Burford, Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
How to Apply:
- Review the Requirements Respecting Marriage in Ontario issued by the Office of the Registrar General.
- Obtain and complete, with signatures, a Marriage Licence Application form (paper copies available at the Burford office).
- Contact the County of Brant Clerk's Division (519-449-2451) to make arrangements to have a licence issued.
- At least one applicant must go to the County of Brant Administration Office, 26 Park Avenue during office hours.
- Fee for a marriage licence is $110.00, to be paid by cash or debit only.
- Proof of identity / age is required for both applicants.
- Original / certified divorce certificates must be presented, if applicable.
Marriage licences are valid immediately once issued. You have 3 months from the date of issue to have the marriage performed. If your licence expires, you must purchase another licence. There are no refunds for issued marriage licences.
If you require a death certificate, visit Service Ontario and order one online. You can also order a death certificate through a funeral home.
All deaths in Ontario are registered through the Office of the Registrar General. Information on Archived Death Records can be obtained at the Archives of Ontario website or by calling 416-237-1593.
To register your new baby, visit ServiceOntario's Newborn Registration Service. You can submit your application for a birth certificate and social insurance number online at the same time.
Commissioner of Oaths
The Clerk's Department can certify the validity of information and/or documents. We provide Commissioner of Oaths service for documents like affidavits, vehicle transfers and foreign pension forms. To arrange to have documents signed by a Commissioner of Oaths, please contact the Clerk's Division at 519-449-2451.