background image
Skip to content

We offer a variety of map options on the site.

Maps Brant You may choose to view a dynamic interactive map system with numerous mapping layers that can be turned on as needed. Or, you may select from maps from the gallery, which have been prepared to promote or highlight locations and specific information across the County of Brant.

Interactive Maps

Gain access to a vast amount of information on this mapping site anytime or anywhere. The mapping solution is widely available on many devices that support web browsing.

Launch the Map App

Map Gallery

View and download maps prepared to promote events, trails and locations across the County.

Full County of Brant Map
View More maps...

Sanitary Sewer Connections

A Sanitary Sewer Service Connection connects a building or private sanitary sewer system to the municipal wastewater system to convey wastewater to the municipal wastewater system.

The property owner is responsible for the maintenance of the sanitary service sewer connection from the building connection, or private sanitary system, to the connection to the mainline sanitary sewer.

Sanitary sewer connection to home, diagram of pipe


New Connections

If municipal sanitary sewers are available in your area, you can contact the County of Brant Public Works Department to discuss the possibility to connect. If it is determined that you could connect, it is required you complete a Public Works Permit Application (and pay applicable fees) and coordinate the hiring of a contractor to complete the work to install the connection.

Sewer Backups

Sometimes, a sanitary sewer backs up. The most common causes of sewer backups are:

Solids/debris - Typical solids that build up in the pipe and cause backups include fat, oil, grease, dirt, hair, bones, paper towels, kitty litter, diapers, broken dishware, garbage, concrete, and debris.

Tree root infiltration - Tree roots can cause backups. Tree roots take advantage of leaks or breaks and faulty pipe joints in the service line piping and may infiltrate the pipe system plugging the wastewater flow.

Structural defects in pipes - Significant sags in the service line, cracks, holes, protruding laterals, misaligned pipe, offset and open joints, and collapsing pipe material are all possible causes of backups.

How You Can Help Prevent a Sewer Backup


  • Place a strainer in your sink to catch food scraps and other solids so they can be disposed of in the garbage or composter.
  • Scrape solidified grease and food scraps from your plates, utensils, pots and pans and dispose of it in the garbage.
  • Pour grease into a container, freeze it and throw the container with the grease in the garbage.
  • Be careful when using commercial cleaner or detergents to dissolve grease. They may only transport the grease further down your sewer connection where it will solidify.
  • If you suspect tree roots may be causing a problem/blockage, have your lateral sewer line video inspected by a professional/plumber.
  • Call a plumber/professional if you are experiencing issues with your service connection (i.e. slow draining, back up, etc.)


  • Pour grease down the sink or toilet - it will cling to the sides of your plumbing/sewer connection and build up over time causing problems.
  • Use your sink as a garbage disposal - food scraps should be disposed of in the garbage or composter. Food scraps can clog the plumbing.
  • Flush the following items down the toilet or drains:

    • Grease
    • Diapers
    • Sticks
    • Garbage
    • Toys
    • Wipes
    • Rags
    • Feminine Hygiene Products
    • Medicine
    • Hazardous Waste (Paint, oil, etc.)
    • Paper Towels


Grease build up in a pipe

Grease build up in a pipe.

Review your residential insurance policy or contact your agent to determine whether your policy covers damages due to sewer backups and/or water damage. In many cases, this additional coverage can be purchased at a minimal cost to cover your home in the event of a sewer back up incident. If you experience a sewer backup, record the details of damage, if possible, and contact us and your insurance agent.

What to do in the event of a sewer back-up

(1) The property owner should first confirm that the back-up is coming from a sanitary sewer outlet (i.e. toilet or floor drain) as opposed to storm water or ground water. If the material is entering the house from a sanitary sewer outlet, the property owner is responsible to determine what is causing the blockage and should call a licenced plumber to investigate the blockage.

It is recommended that at least two pieces of information should be recovered by a licenced plumber and provided to the property owner:

  • What is the cause of the blockage is (i.e. root intrusion into the line, a break or belly in the line, grease build up etc.), and
  • Where the problem is located.

We also suggest that a closed circuit television (CCTV) inspection be completed by the plumber and recorded for the property owner's records. If the property owner wants to make a claim that the issue is the responsibility of the County, they must provide a copy of a CCTV inspection and the location of the issue at a minimum.

(2) If the problem causing the back-up is determined to be in the property owners sewer connection line (lateral) but beyond the property line or possibly in the sewer main, the County's Public Works Department should be contacted at 519.449.2451 (if calling after typical business hours this phone number will automatically re-direct to the after-hours dispatch). When you call please provide as much information on the issue as possible. A County representative will be dispatched to the area to inspect the mainline sewer and discuss the problem with the property owner. If the problem is the result of the property owner's improper use (ie. flushing diapers, grease, etc.) the property owner will be responsible for the cost of the repair.

County Contacts

26 Park Avenue, Burford, ON N0E 1A0
Phone: 519-449-2451
Toll Free: 1-888-250-2295
Fax: 519-449-2454
Monday - Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 160
Burford, ON
N0E 1A0

Property Tax
26 Park Avenue, Burford, ON N0E 1A0
Phone: 519-449-2451
Toll Free: 1-888-250-2295
Fax: 519-449-1380
Monday - Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 249
Burford, ON
N0E 1A0