background image
Skip to content

We offer a variety of map options on the site.

Maps Brant You may choose to view a dynamic interactive map system with numerous mapping layers that can be turned on as needed. Or, you may select from maps from the gallery, which have been prepared to promote or highlight locations and specific information across the County of Brant.

Interactive Maps

Gain access to a vast amount of information on this mapping site anytime or anywhere. The mapping solution is widely available on many devices that support web browsing.

Launch the Map App

Map Gallery

View and download maps prepared to promote events, trails and locations across the County.

Full County of Brant Map
View More maps...


The purpose of a municipal wastewater (sanitary) system is to collect, convey and treat wastewater generated for users (residential, commercial, institutional and industrial) connected to the system.

A municipal wastewater (sanitary) system consists of service connection pipes (from the private property line to mainline sewer), mainline sewers, manholes, pumping stations/forcemains and treatment facilities.

The County of Brant operates four wastewater systems. The systems are located in the communities of Paris, Cainsville and St. George and the Industrial Park located by the Brantford Airport. The wastewater systems consist of approximately 90 km of sanitary sewer, more than 1,700 manholes, more than 5,600 service connections, six sanitary sewage pumping stations and four wastewater treatment facilities.

Aerial view of Paris Water Pollution Control Plant at 120 Race Street

Paris Water Pollution Control Plant - 120 Race Street

Wastewater services provided by the Public Works Department include:

  • Sewage treatment
  • Pump station operations
  • Wastewater (sanitary) collection system operations
  • Regulate discharges to wastewater system
  • Odour complaints

The Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA) is currently contracted by the County of Brant to operate the County's wastewater treatment facilities, pumping stations and provide Overall Responsible Operator (ORO) and Operator In Charge (OIC) services for the wastewater collection systems.

Sanitary Sewer Use By-Law

We cannot put everything down the sewer. The County of Brant wastewater treatment facilities are designed primarily to service households with normal domestic wastewater. It cannot efficiently remove the toxic pollutants contained in some of the waste produced by business, industries and institutions.

Discharges that do not meet the requirements outlined in the Sanitary Sewer Use By-law could have serious consequences for public health and safety, municipal infrastructure, and the environment. Even if the discharge is very small in quantity, the total combined effect can be significant. Unauthorized discharges could result in:

  • Threat to the health and safety of sewer workers
  • Damage to municipal infrastructure
  • Interference with the normal operation of the wastewater treatment plant
  • Inability to re-use our treated sludge (biosolids) beneficially
  • Discharge of contaminants to the natural environment

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if my basement is flooding or my drains are backing up?

Information about what to do in the event of a sewer back-up is included on our Sanitary Sewer Connections page.

How can I connect to the sanitary sewer system?

Information about connecting to the sanitary sewer system is included on our Sanitary Sewer Connections page.

Why is there sewer odour in my home?

Sewer gases are a natural product found in the sanitary sewer system. Sewer gases can gain access to your residence through faulty plumbing systems. Broken pipes, dry taps and incorrect plumbing connections can allow gases to enter a residence. The County's Building Department should be contacted to move towards resolving the problem.

There is a manhole cover off in the front of my house. Who will replace it?

Contact the Public Works Department and they will dispatch a County employee to review this problem.

Where does my water go when it goes down the drain?

Your water goes out to sewer lines underground and is collected into larger lines that run under the roadway or boulevard. These lines collect more and more water so the lines get larger the closer they get to a sewage treatment facility.

What can I safely pour down the sink or toilet?

Water is the only recommended product that should go down the sink. Human waste is the only product that should go down the toilet. Refer to the Sanitary Sewer Connections page for more information.

There has been a gasoline spill in front of my home, who should I speak to?

Call 9-1-1 and give as much information as possible (type of vehicle, amount spilled, address, etc.).

Who do I tell about someone dumping things in the catchbasin on the street?

Contact the Public Works Department and give as much information as possible and they will send a County employee to investigate.

County Contacts

26 Park Avenue, Burford, ON N0E 1A0
Phone: 519-449-2451
Toll Free: 1-888-250-2295
Fax: 519-449-2454
Monday - Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 160
Burford, ON
N0E 1A0

Property Tax
26 Park Avenue, Burford, ON N0E 1A0
Phone: 519-449-2451
Toll Free: 1-888-250-2295
Fax: 519-449-1380
Monday - Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 249
Burford, ON
N0E 1A0