background image
Skip to content

We offer a variety of map options on the site.

Maps Brant You may choose to view a dynamic interactive map system with numerous mapping layers that can be turned on as needed. Or, you may select from maps from the gallery, which have been prepared to promote or highlight locations and specific information across the County of Brant.

Interactive Maps

Gain access to a vast amount of information on this mapping site anytime or anywhere. The mapping solution is widely available on many devices that support web browsing.

Launch the Map App

Map Gallery

View and download maps prepared to promote events, trails and locations across the County.

Full County of Brant Map
View More maps...

Heritage Designated Properties

Designated Structures in the County of Brant


Brant Bowstring Bridge - Colborne Street E. & Fairchild's Creek - Circa 1931

(Designated) By-Law 198-06

This bridge is the only remaining example of a bowstring bridge in the County of Brant. Slated for replacement, the County Engineers worked with the Heritage Committee to refurbish the bridge instead.  The bridge is a "sister bridge" to the bowstring bridge on Main Street in Cambridge (Galt).  It was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act in 2006. 


Bryning Manse - 676 Mount Pleasant Road, Mt. Pleasant - Circa 1830

(Designated) By-Law 58-02

This circa 1830 Regency-Gothic cottage was the manse of the first Presbyterian and resident minister in the village, Reverend John Bryning.  It is the only remaining example of board and batten construction in Mount Pleasant.


Mount Pleasant Pioneer Cemetery - 703 Mount Pleasant Road, Mt Pleasant - Circa 1802

(Designated) By-Law 179-06

Captain Joseph Brant set aside a land grant in 1802 as a public burial place upon the death of Thomas Sturgis, an early pioneer.  The cemetery contains the graves of a number of the early pioneer settlers in the area including 12 War of 1812 veterans with familiar names such as Secord, Perrin, Ellis, Burtch and Phelps.


Optimist Nature Park - 755 Mount Pleasant Road, Mount Pleasant - Circa 1911

(Designated) By-Law 152-02

The site of the former Haight Carding Mill in the 1840's, the property became the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources first fish hatchery in the 1920s.  Now operated by the local Optimist Club, the park comprises 23 acres, has three large ponds and is open to the public.


Farrington House - 306 Hwy 53, Cathcart - Circa 1883

(Designated) By-Law 94-52

This house was built by James Farrington and was claimed to be one of the largest homes in Brant County at the time.  James Farrington travelled to California during the gold rush and was involved in many successful business enterprises including ranching, gold and silver mining and high plains freighting.


Dr. Hervey Ross House - 110 King Street, Burford - Circa 1851

(Designated) By-Law 95-9G

"The Miller House" as it is usually referred, is a rare example of a Regency winged temple building, which is a vanishing form.  It is considered a "winged plan" because it has a one and a half storey central body with flanking one-storey wings.  The Dr. Hervey Ross family built this house.  Some of the decorative features of the building include fancy verge board along the front gable and French casement style windows.  It has been said that this form of architecture was modelled after the Kingston Court House.  A report in 1985 by the Architecture Conservancy of Ontario stated "The Miller House" is of very fine quality and would be an ornament to any Southern Ontario community.


Burford Armoury - 150 King Street, Burford - Circa 1906

(Designated) By-Law 95-10G

The central tower of this formidable building has a Roman arched window and Gothic detail.  It was once used by the 1st Cavalry 2nd 10th Brant Dragoons for training and recreation.  It also served as a hospital during the flu epidemic of 1918 and a temporary high school in 1921. 


Charles Arnold House - 2 Arnold Street, Paris - Circa 1840

(Designated) By-Law 2666

Believed to be Charles Arnold's first home, this stucco house with a cobblestone foundation has eyebrow windows.  During a recent renovation, the remains of a beehive oven were uncovered in the basement.


King's Ward Park - 31 Broadway Street E., Paris - Circa 1830

(Designated) By-Law 12-93

In the Town's beginning, Hiram Capron had plans in place to use this area known as King's Ward Park as a centre for business and community affairs.  In early days, a market and a band shell stood on this site.  When the merchants preferred to settle along the banks of the Grand, the park transformed into an idyllic setting much as it is today.


Rev. Thomas Henderson House - 22 Church Street - Circa 1842-1845

(Designated) By-Law 2569

This Regency style cottage is cobblestone front and sides with a rubble stone construction at the rear and cut stone quoining at the corners. In 1870 Alexander Graham Bell was a guest for several months in this house, while his parents' home was under construction on Tutela Heights Road, near Brantford.


Gouinlock House - 42 Broadway Street E., Paris - Circa 1845

(Designated) By-Law 2568

Once the home of John Penman, this cottage displays rubble-stone walls with simulated ashlar parging, a metal roof and an enclosed verandah.


Charles Mitchell House - 16 Broadway Street W., Paris - Circa 1860

(Designated)  By-Law 2667

A fine example of cobblestone masonry, this Greek revival house of modest scale was designed by Mitchell and built by Levi Boughton.  Visitors will note the cast iron grills covering "stomacher" windows beneath the eaves.  A well-matched addition in 1885 housed a doctor's office.


Arlington Hotel - 106 Grand River Street N., Paris - Circa 1850

(Designated) By-Law 2988

The frame and plaster section of the hotel was erected by the original founder O.D. Bradford and was at one time, one of 17 drinking establishments in Paris which at the time had a population of 2,400.  The next owner, John Ealand expanded the hotel adding a yellow brick addition with Romanesque arcades and renamed the hotel the "The Arlington".  The hotel fell into a state of disrepair during the 1980's but was purchased and after many years of renovations was reopened in December of 1999 and once again became the centrepiece of the downtown core.


Hamilton Place - 165 Grand River Street N., Paris - Circa 1844

(Designated) By-Law 163-01

Norman Hamilton, a wealthy industrialist, brewer, and miller, commissioned architect Andrew J. Minney to design this three storey Neo-Classical, cobblestone house which was constructed by master carpenter Levi Boughton.  The verandah roof below the large belvedere conceals second storey windows.  Later additions include dormers and a cobblestone wing to the left of the house.  Hamilton's noted son-in-law, artist Paul Giovanni Wickson, also lived here. 


Asa Wolverton House - 52 Grand River Street S., Paris - Circa 1851

(Designated) By-Law 2364

In 1826 Asa Wolverton settled in Paris from the southern United States, built sawmills and became a prosperous contractor and lumber dealers.  In 1850 he served as a councillor on the first council in the village of Paris.  In 1851 he built his home at 52 Grand River Street S. in Greek revival style with a southern plantation appearance.  The buildings attached to the south side of the main house were the granary, storeroom, carriage house and stables.  There apparently are no other known examples of this type of design in Ontario.  The property has a small cobblestone smokehouse and once had a cobblestone fence that deteriorated.  In 1979 this home became the first property in Paris designated as historically and architecturally significant.  It is believed Wolverton built the two plaster houses south of this house and several other smaller houses on the opposite side of the street for his employees, establishing the first residential area in Paris.


Hiram Capron House - 8 Homestead Road, Paris - Circa 1831

(Designated) By-Law 76-91

This plastered frame house was built by Hiram Capron who founded Paris in 1829.  It was built on the site of early settler William Holmes' log cabin. 


Kilton Cottage - 33 Oak Avenue, Paris - Circa 1855

(Designated) By-Law 16-92

Built by newlyweds David Patton and Matilda Killips, the name was derived from their family names. Cobblestone was used on the front and sides of this two storey home with fieldstone on the rear walls.  Decorative gingerbread work adorns the eaves with eyebrow designs above the windows.


St. George School- 39 Beverly Street W., St. George - Circa 1893

(Designated) By-Law 47-86

Built in 1823 the original school for boys only was a log building at the end of Lorimer Street.  This one was built in 1893 - 1894 to replace a small red brick school building located on Thompson Street (formerly West Street). This building remained in use as a school until another one was built behind it in 1973.  Today it is a children's nursery school and day care centre.


Adelaide Hunter-Hoodless Homestead - 359 Blue Lake Road, South Dumfries  - Circa 1830

(Designated) By-Law 34-83

Adelaide Hunter was born in this 19th century Neo-Gothic style farmhouse and lived  here until she married John Hoodless in 1881.  Mrs. Hunter-Hoodless was the President of the Hamilton YMCA.  She organized the second branch of the Hamilton VON and the world's first Women's Institute at Stoney Creek.  She also introduced the teaching of domestic science in Ontario schools and secured funds for the building of Macdonald Institute now part of University of Guelph.  Today the homestead is owned by the Federation of Women's Institutes and operates as a museum.


Mayhill Villa/Lewis C. Cope Residence - 380 Branchton Road, Circa 1867

(Designated) By-Law 111-07

Descendants of the Cope family, for which nearby Copetown was named, lived here.  The outstanding features of this magnificent example of an Italianate home are its windows.  Two sets of original compound chimneys, common in the Italianate period can be seen on both sides of the house.  Etched stained glass in the fanlight and sidelights provides an attractive entry.


Stone Railway Bridge - Glen Morris Road E. and Branchton Road - Circa 1854

(Designated) By-Law 74-87

This cut stone bridge was constructed by the Great Western Railway Company over Glen Morris Road E. to link Harrisburg with Galt.  A beautiful example of masonry work, its double arches with keystones allow both the road and stream to pass under it.


Sunnyside - 13 Main Street S., St. George - Circa 1887

(Designated) By-Law 30-81

Constructed in 1887, this Romanesque Revival mansion was built as a residence and doctor's office.  The third floor contained a ballroom.  Dr. E. E. Kitchen and his wife had no children and lived here until Dr. Kitchen died in 1913.  It passed through the hands of several relatives and other owners until in 1957,  it was converted to a nursing home.  It was purchased in 1979 by South Dumfries Township for its municipal office.  After the township was amalgamated into Brant County, it was sold by auction and has been extensively restored and is used once again as a private residence.

Howell Block - St. George Community Memorial Hall - 34 - 36 Main Street S., St. George - Circa 1891

(Designated) By-Law 78-91

This block originally consisted of a series of frame buildings that housed several businesses.  In 1891 Jonathan Howell replaced the wooden structures with the stone building you see today.  In 1924, the building was purchased by Louise Kitchen with the purpose of donating it to the community to honour the service of local citizens who served in WW1. With the help of the community, the building was remodelled into a community hall and on August 20th, 1925, The Hon. Harry Cockshutt, Lieu-Governor of Ontario dedicated the building as a "Memorial to those who fought in the Great War." At the same time he unveiled a plaque with the names of those in the area who fought.  On July 1, 2006 a second plaque was unveiled recognizing those from St. George and South Dumfries who fought in WWII and Korea.  On January 11, 2016 the Veteran Affairs recognized the building by adding it to its national inventory of Canadian War Memorials.  Presently, it is the home of the South Dumfries Historical Society and is the home of the St. George and Area Museum and Archives as well as still being used by local community groups.

Paris Plains Church, West Dumfries Chapel/Maus School - 705 Paris Plains Church Road, Circa - 1845

(Designated) By-Law 24-86A

The church is a fine example of cobblestone construction introduced to the Paris area by Levi Boughton.  The church was built by free labour of its own congregation using stones from nearby fields.  Services were discontinued in 1921 but the building was restored in 1948 as a memorial to the pioneers of the community.


Maus School, S.S. No. 11

(Designated) By-Law 24-86A

Located on the same property as the Paris Plains Church, the land for this school was donated by Henry Maus.  After the government ended one-room schoolhouses, it was converted to a church and school museum. 


John Maus Residence - 289 Pinehurst Road, South Dumfries - Circa 1860

(Designated) By-Law 52-86

This fieldstone house of Provincial Scottish Victorian architecture was built for one of the early settlers in this part of the former township.  The stone for this residence and carriage house was drawn from a local quarry.  This is one of six significant residential buildings featured in the 1875 Atlas of the County of Brant.  Today it is a private residence and antique shop.


Charles & Margaret O'Neail Residence - 899 Keg Lane, Paris - Circa 1861

(Designated) By-Law 180-06

This 1 1/2 storey Regency-style house with rare four cobblestone walls was built by Daniel O'Neail who came to Canada from Ireland in 1830.  Mr. O'Neail was the first President of the Paris Agricultural Society and his firstborn, Charles, also served as President in 1870 and in 1880.  The O'Neails gave the southwest corner of their property for the building of Keg Lane School in 1868. 


Natural Heritage


Designated trees in the County of Brant


The County has designated three trees which lie within our boundaries.  Each of these trees are outstanding in either estimated age, size and rarity. 


Black Walnut - Juglans Nigra -  160 Jerseyville Road, Former Township of Brantford

(Designated) By-Law 57-12

Located on private property, and unable to be viewed, this tree is estimated to be at least 100 years old and possibly much older.  The tree is at least 65 feet tall with a trunk circumference of 17 feet and a crown spread of 110 ft. in diameter.   This massive tree is believed to be the largest in the County and dwarfs the farmhouse located beside it.  


Copper Beech - Fagus sylvatica cuprea - 631 Mt. Pleasant Road, Mt Pleasant

(Designated) By-Law 56-12

Located on the front lawn of this private property, this tree can easily be viewed from the street.  This copper beech is not native to Canada and is believed to have been planted by Abram Cook in the 1860's along with several edible nut trees.   


Camperdown Elm - Ulmus glabra camperdownii -  19 Beverly St. E., St. George


During a period of early development of this tree, there were only 1,000 known to exist in the world from cuttings of a mutant contorted branch found growing along the ground in the forest of Camperdown House in Scotland, U.K. Because this tree is over 100 years old, it is believed to be one of the original 1,000 trees developed in Scotland.  Today they are more common but because the cuttings are grafted onto the trunks of either Wych, Dutch, Siberian or English Elms they are all susceptible to the Dutch Elm disease which has devastated native species of elms in North America and Europe. 

County Contacts

26 Park Avenue, Burford, ON N0E 1A0
Phone: 519-449-2451
Toll Free: 1-888-250-2295
Fax: 519-449-2454
Monday - Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 160
Burford, ON
N0E 1A0

Property Tax
26 Park Avenue, Burford, ON N0E 1A0
Phone: 519-449-2451
Toll Free: 1-888-250-2295
Fax: 519-449-1380
Monday - Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 249
Burford, ON
N0E 1A0