To navigate to the other Public Works Department sections please click
one of the following links:
Waste Water (Sanitary Sewers) |
Solid Waste |
Request for Service/Permit Information |
Waste Water Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What should I do if my basement is flooding or my drains are backing
- Why is there sewer odour in my home?
- There is a manhole cover off in the front of my house. Who will replace
- How can I connect to the sanitary sewer system?
- Where does my water go when it goes down the drain?
- What can I safely pour down the sink or toilet?
- There has been a gasoline spill in front of my home, who should I
- Who do I tell about someone dumping things in the catchbasin on the
What should I do if my basement is flooding or my drains are backing up?
- You should attempt to determine whether the materials are coming from a sanitary sewer outlet (eg. toilet or floor drain) as opposed
to storm water or ground water. If the material is entering the house from a sanitary sewer outlet, a plumber should be called to
clear the blockage.
- If the problem causing the backed drain is determined to be in the resident's lateral sewer line but beyond the property line or
possibly in the sewer main, the County's Public Works Department should be contacted. A county representative will inspect the sewers and
discuss the problem with the resident and the plumber.
Why is there sewer odour in my home?
Sewer gases are a natural product found in the sanitary sewer system. Sewer gases can gain access to your residence through faulty
plumbing systems. Broken pipes, dry taps and incorrect plumbing connections can allow gases to enter a residence. The County's Building
Department should be contacted to move towards resolving the problem.
There is a manhole cover off in the front of my house. Who will replace
Call the public works office @ 449-2451 and they will dispatch a County
employee to fix this problem.
How can I connect to the sanitary sewer system?
If municipal sanitary sewers are available in your area, you can contact the County of Brant Public Works Department to request permission to connect.
If permission is granted, you will need to complete a Public Works Permit Application (and pay applicable fees) and coordinate to have a contractor complete the work.
Where does my water go when it goes down the drain?
Your water goes out
sewer lines underground and is collected into larger lines that run under
the roadway or boulevard. These lines collect more
and more water so the lines get larger the closer they get to a sewage
What can I safely pour down the sink or toilet?
Water is the only recommended
product that should go down the sink. Human waste is the only product
that should go down the toilet.
There has been a gasoline spill in front of my home, who should I
Call the public works department @ 449-2451 or call 911, give
as much information as possible. Type of vehicle, amount spilled, address,
Who do I tell about someone dumping things in the catchbasin on the
If you suspect this happening call the public works department
and give as much information as possible and they will send a County
around to investigate.
NOTE: If your question is not listed above, please contact (519) 449-2451
Information on Waste Water (sanitary sewer) rates can be found